Monday, January 28, 2013

Tom Swift

This entry is dedicated to Tom Swift, ALS warrior and friend who passed away January 24th: Someday I hope that others will see the Jesus in me as easily as they saw Him in you.

In the wake of recent events, much has been made of the ability to form real relationships with people we have only met online.  For many of us in the ALS community, the internet has allowed us to get to know others who share our experiences and the friendships we form are no less real than those we have with people we see regularly.  Every once in awhile we are fortunate enough to find a friend that  we just click with - you know, the kind of friend that whether it has been two days, two months or two years you can pick right up where you left off.  I have been blessed with two such friends from my life before ALS - Paul Stork and Cliff Ford, and two internet PALS - Jason Pacetti and Tom Swift, who have now both passed on. As I considered these friendships, I recalled the commitment I made when I was diagnosed; first, I would not lose my faith in God, second I would not lose my sense of humor.  I realized that Jason shared my quirky sense of humor and among other things, Paul, Cliff and Tom are all men of great faith. With this in mind, I believe the best way to honor Tom is to share  the faith that meant so much to him.

Since I entered into a personal relationship with Jesus, my eyes have seen the world in a whole new way.  I guess this should not surprise me since the Bible says "therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold all things  have become new."(2 Cor 5:17)  One thing I never get tired of are the ways God reveals how intimately and personally He knows me.  Now not everything is always easy for believers (hello ALS), but I can't imagine  even a normal life without Christ much less dealing with the day to  day difficulties of ALS without Him.  John 3:16 promises " God so loved the world that He sent His only son, so whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have eternal life." If you do not have a relationship with Jesus or if you are unsure of going to heaven, please pray the prayer:

Dear Jesus, I believe that you are the son of God who died on the cross for my sins. I repent of my sins and accept the forgiveness your death made possible. I believe you rose on the third day and are seated with God the Father in heaven; I ask you to come into my heart and be lord of my life from this day forward.  Amen.

Welcome to the family, if you prayed this prayer for the first time, please let me know in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing:) Couldn't live without Him. Tom, I know is having a blast in Heaven!

    ReplyDelete