Saturday, February 5, 2011

Walking On Sunshine

OK, to all my northern friends (that is anyone who lives north of  I 10), I'm sure this will sound like a whine, but it's been too freakin' cold!  I live in south Louisiana because I was born with gills for the humidity, web feet for the water and a cast iron belly because I eat all that stuff that crawls around the bayous; I was not blessed with a fur coat for frigid temperatures.  While I realize that many parts of the country have had heavy snow and freezing temperatures for most of the past month, well, that's your problem, move if you don't like it.  Sorry, for that one I promise not to complain in August when we're 95 degrees and 95% humidity!

Because of ALS, which sucks, I now have limited mobility and that limits my opportunities to get out of the house.  Since no one is home with me during the week, I'm pretty much stuck inside in my chair or on the bed for range of motion exercises and the occasional nap time.  I'm not complaining about this, my days are actually pretty good with computer time, bible study, TV and reading.  I must admit though, I really do look forward to getting out of the house a few times a week for breakfast with Brigid, life group and Sunday church services.  With all of the freezing rain,dangerous road conditions(think Cajuns driving on ice) and cold temperatures this week, all of our regular activities were cancelled!  Even with Gina home Friday because her office was closed, getting me down icy stairs in freezing temperatures was a no go. You see, these days getting me out of the house requires first getting my sweatpants on, then the helper putting on my AFOs (Ankle Foot Orthodics) and tying my shoes then helping with my jacket.  Someone then has to open the side door and stand by while I use my cane and the handrail to maneuver down the four stairs and over to the Honda where my feet are lifted into the car and I get a wedgie as I'm helped into the front passenger seat.  It's really not so bad, I list the steps out to give you a glimpse into our "new normal", at least I can still help those who are helping me; but you can probably tell that going out was not very practical with the conditions.

Waking up early this morning to sunlight streaming through the blinds in the bedroom window instantly lifted my spirits. I was showered and ready to leave the house by 8am and Gina and I headed out. It was still cold, but the bright sunshine, cool crisp fresh air and a hot cup of coffee were all I needed.  It was just a few errands, a stop by her office and a quick visit with Brigid but there I was "walking on sunshine, oh oh, and don't it feel good!"

5 comments:

  1. That was very inspiring Kevin!! I love your positive attitude and I can't wait to meet you & your family!!!!

    Sharon Iles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how expressive your writing is....I can just picture it! And yes, we had 15 or more inches of the white stuff, depending on who you ask, and I was housebound for several days due to the driving conditions. Not a fun time, I might add...and so, I feel a teeny tiny bit of your pain. However, I cannot imagine all the extra trappings that have just to get out of the house...unless, you consider regular clothes, snow pants, two pairs of socks, a sweatshirt, hat, gloves, gator, coat and boots trappings! Anyway, I can now just imagine the snow angel you might make! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see the sunshine on your face 0n Sat. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy it. Love you and keep writing I enjoy this posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you enjoy the sunshine. I am enjoying your positivity in the face of this odious disease. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most definitely a sunshine person & I love "your walking on sunshine" entry. Here in NH it has been snow snow ( some ice thrown in ) and more snow I am now ready for spring.

    As to the wedgie part I felt guilty & giggled at the same time, my father had a severe stroke when he was 58 & stayed paralyzed he often received wedgie's from us getting him in and out of the car, my hubby is not in a wheelchair yet ( holding hand up like a girl guide ) "I swear I will try not to give wedgie's", have a blessed with sunshine week.

    ReplyDelete