Saturday, February 19, 2011

Friends

First, an update on last week's post: following the blog, we had a TV appearance and newspaper article that told our story.  On Monday, the officer who denied the request reversed his decision and granted approval for compassionate relocation. It still must go through chain of command for approval but we do not expect any obstacles, and hope to have Sean back in Louisiana soon.  Thanks for all of your support!

Now if you facebook, you've probably seen this status from someone this week:
 It's been said that everlasting friends can go long periods of time without speaking and never question the friendship. These types of friends pick up like they just spoke yesterday, regardless of how long it has been or how far away they live, and they don't hold grudges. They understand that life is busy...but you will ALWAYS love them


Well, I am blessed to have a group of friends who fit this description perfectly.  Today I had a visit from two guys I spent so much of my youth with.  Joe Abe and Ron Boone were part of the fantastic crew who worked the Harrison Ave Winn Dixie in the late 70's early 80's.  We worked, played, partied and did those crazy things young people do and NEVER tell their parents about...we fell in love (Joe is married to my former next door neighbor Doodis Ann) together and raised our kids, Joe is our daughter Brigid's godfather.  The thing is we haven't seen each other in at least 10 years!  When Joe found out my diagnosis, he knew right away that ALSucks, his friend Brenda passed away this week after a two year fight with the monster.  So we visited, laughed, amused Ryan with stories of  our "adventures", caught up on the kids and families, shared a lunch and basked in a friendship that will never end.  I am so thankful the made the effort to take a day away from home and drive the 2 1/2 hours each way to make my day!

I am also overwhelmed by the support my Tulane Pi Kappa Alpha brothers and sisters have shown in putting together a reunion at this year's New Orleans Jazz Fest.  So far about a dozen college friends are coming from all over the country to share in one of my favorite events. What makes this special is my first real symptoms where I knew something was wrong occurred at last year's fest. I know the food and music will be amazing as usual, but having the love and support of Loady and his bride Kim, Donna Jo, Des, JB, Belushi and Jeff will make it easy to be back there. Again it's been quite awhile since I've seen most of them, but looking forward to picking up where we left off.


If things go as planned, next weekend will be spent at yet another friends house.  Paul is an amazing man of God who has been a mentor, teacher, visionary, encourager, partner and brother to me.  He literally changed my life! We are always amazed that since the day we met we have been so in sinc that he says we're twins from different mothers.  We've both faced some huge challenges the past six months, but that just shows we're still hooked up!  We'll see another set of friends while there, David and Anna, but once our kids marry each other in June, we'll be family! Hope we even get some time with Justin and Yvonne, although it's only been a year, I miss you guys terribly and am praying for your Dad big time.


So you can see how blessed my life has been! My very large loving family and all  these great friends, what could be better than that!  Now if anyone can find Cliff Ford and get us back in touch, that would bring a big smile to this face!

3 comments:

  1. I knew you would have a fun day with Joe and Ron. Jazz fest will be especially good also. You are truly blest with many good friends, because you are such a good friend. Good luck finding Cliff. Seems like we always had some friends around our house. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo glad you have the wheels turning on relocating your son yippie !!! I know it is just one fight amongst many having ALS but it was a big win! as to friends you are blessed if you have them, my hubby & I have little by the way of close friends because we lived in other countries after marriage, just as I live away from my homeland now :0( this does affect our support network severly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard from Cliff today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete