Monday, February 28, 2011

Ups and Downs of ALS

What a week! Monday started the week on the upswing when I received a call from my ALSA rep letting me know that there was an unexpected opening in a stem cell clinical trial trial being conducted by TCA Cellular Therapy in nearby Covington, LA.  A quick call, phone screen and fax of the medical records and I was set for a Friday assessment for acceptance into the trial! YAHOO!!
Tuesday wasn't a bad day and that evening was our monthly support group meeting which means a chance for me to get out and visit.  We talked with Dora more about the stem cell trial, heard some encouraging stories and got some questions answered. I might even have a power chair loaner for tooling around Jazz Fest. We unfortunately welcomed a new PALS to the group, so sorry you qualify Vickie and met Tracy who has been fighting the beast for 4+ years.  Breakfast for dinner at IHOP and the excitement of the evening, this is an awesome week!
Wednesday's wake up elicited a grunt from my tired body and I slept in for a few extra hours while Gina and Ryan headed out to work.  The rest of the day was good and we decided we'd go get my haircut when G got off of work.  Knowing she was on the way, I headed for the shower so that I'd be getting out at about the time she arrived home and could help me get ready to go. While in the shower I felt my knees getting weak so I rinsed and went to get out...and the beast struck back. I missed the grab bar and down I went, on my arse buck naked unable to do much more than wiggle out of the way of the ice cold water flowing from the shower head.  Three tries and I got the water turned off, now what.  As I sat on the floor of the shower with my legs sticking out in the open, I checked myself, no blood that's good, nothing really hurts that's good and I hope Gina doesn't freak when she gets here.  I'm thinking can I pray in this shape? Remembering in Genesis that God knew when Adam put on the fig leaf, I figure Adam prayed nakie so can I.  Talk about humbled before the Lord; I prayed, Gina didn't freak and after some maneuvering she and Ryan carried me out and got me seated.  A deep breath, I hadn't had a fall in almost six months, a stiff lower back and a blow to the confidence, but all in all we survived it pretty well (at least G and Ryan are pretending they did).
I got trough the day Thursday, Gina came home at lunch and helped me out.  Life Group at night, we love this special group of friends and the spiritual support they provide.
Friday morning hopes were high as we headed to the assessment and I cranked up one of my Christmas presents from son Kyle, Led Zepplin IV on the ride over, sweet!  FDA was in the office but nurse Teresa was as cool as Scott said, filled us in on details and history of the company and trials. Dr Lasala came in and I am accpeted as PALS #10, great news!  We did discover that one of my prescription meds needs to be stopped for thirty days before the procedure takes place, so now we are shooting for the end of March or early April for the first step.  Finished Friday afternoon in beautiful weather at the ballpark watching a baseball game, and then to my sister's house for the weekend.
Saturday some sun and a softball game before resting in the recliner while the girls got their nails done.  Early dinner and I skipped the parade to stay home and watch The Social Network with my Mom and Dwight and my honey.
So there you have it, a week of ups and one big down, but I'm here and ready for more, maybe not Aaron Rodgers championship belt ready, but good enough to wear nurse Teresa's tiara! Dang I look good!

6 comments:

  1. It was a great weekend. Hoping the Trial is very successful for you. Cudo to Gina and Ryan for all the care they give you so lovingly. Prayers continuing akways. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you all so much! You are an inspiration! Hugs & kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you survived the fall....I still think it knocked the few brain cells lose, especially after seeing this picture....love you dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your Blog, Kevin ! You are showing us all pictures of courage & faith. Hmm...I kind of like the tiara. :) Prayers coming your way, Cindy (& Mike) Watts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin

    Marc here, read your blog and am touched and humored by your positive attitude. God Bless u brother--praying for you.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fig leaf man oops I mean Ken :0) I was on the edge of my seat willing you to get up off that shower floor glad your troops got there before your half froze. How exciting to go on this trial I am so happy you are getting the chance to do this, Don has clinic next week and they had mentioned a new trial to him last visit no idea what it is we will know more after visit ((( hugs))))

    ReplyDelete