Saturday, May 14, 2011

Weekend Report #2

When the reality of my ALS diagnosis set in last year, I was encouraged to consider doing some of the things on my "bucket list" while I was able to enjoy myself.  Last year our church had done a series on 30 Days To Live, and we had discussed the topic at length with our home group.  Tim McGraw's song talks about skydiving, mountain climbing and bull riding, but these held little interest for me; I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my family and friends.

So at the beginning of the year when we began planning for Jazz Fest, I invited my college fraternity  brothers and little sisters to stop putting off that reunion we'd been talking about for so long and make the trip to New Orleans this year since I don't know how many more I'll be able to attend.  The response from so many far away friends was overwhelming and we gathered on Friday to reconnect, drink a few beers and share some memories.  The corner of  Broadway and Zimple was special to these Tulane Alumni for two reasons: the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house and The Boot.  New Orleans is one of the few places where you can find a bar filled with a mixed crowd of college kids and 50 somethings at noon on a Friday and no one thinks it's unusual.
As I was wheeled into the bar where I'm sure I should have been wheeled out many times in my college days, it was all I could do not to tear up as I saw my friends waiting to greet me.  Thank you for making the trip and thanks to the spouses who allowed you to be away from home on Mother's Day.  Here's the group > Pat and Kim from Pittsburgh, Donna Jo from Orlando, John from New Jersey, Ben from Atlanta, Greg from Houston, Stacey from Savannah and Des from Jax as well as Jon and Maite who live in Nola.  The only thing that put a damper on the day was news that our old frat house was soon to be demolished. That brought back memories of room mates, Babe's spoon, and the great theme parties like Heaven n Hell night, the New Jersey Saturate and the Miami Beach Party with the truckload of sand filling the bottom floor.  Before heading off to Mandina's for shrimp, oyster and roast beef po boys we trekked across the street for a final visit to the house.  As the gang headed out for a night in the Quarter, I headed in to rest up for the next two days at Jazz Fest.  Here's the way the story of Pike house ended, thanks to all for making special memories!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you has a most wonderful time, family,friends and LOVE, that is what it is all about (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing...the house is down but not my biggest brother!! Rock on Kevin:) and keep this bucket list going:)

    ReplyDelete