Sunday, May 29, 2011

Missing My Kitchen

So last night we had one of the angels from our church group cooking and bringing dinner over for us, slow roasted pork roast, home made bar b que sauce, cole slaw and rolls.  Thursday night Robert and I spent almost an hour discussing our individual preferences for marinades, dry rubs, cooking times & temperatures and several different bar b que sauce recipes.  Since then I realize that of everything ALS has taken  its toll on so far, my kitchen time might be what I miss most, even more than going to the restroom alone.

Growing up in New Orleans where food is at the center of everything, where chefs are local royalty and with a Dad who was a very good cook, I guess it was inevitable I'd learn my way around the kitchen.  What I was surprised by was that I LOVE to cook; it is where my creativity comes out. Unfortunately now that my hands and arms are losing strength and fine motor control, I just can't handle the pots and pans and since Gina insists I keep all ten fingers, I'm not allowed to use my chef knives.

While I figure my way around my new physical limitations, I have undertaken a challenge of monumental proportions...I have taken Ryan into the kitchen and actually produced edible dishes.  You see while all the other children have passable culinary abilities, Ryan would need a recipe to boil water. Under a watchful eye, very specific directions and just a wee bit of good natured commentary, I have at least been an active participant in getting him through some basic items; we even managed southwestern corn and black bean salad for Life Group.  

I also have been slack in completing the Dad's recipe book I promised Brigid many moons ago and I've had more requests, so I may have to live vicariously through my recipe writing.  I'm not giving up finding the right tools that will get me cooking again, as they say "where there's a will, there's a way".  Until then, guess I'll have to get my fix with Giada, Rachel, Bobby Flay and the Top Chefs

3 comments:

  1. Kevin thanks foe keeping me smiling! You are blessed my friend! I'll come cook with you. I love to cook too! Timberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. you actually are just now finding out what it's like to not be able to go to the bathroom alone? Oh yea, that's right, you're the DAD not the MOM :P!!! I bet if you ask Gina she'll tell you "about time you got to know what I went through when the kids were little" lol!!
    How has Ryan managed to feed himself all these years w/o knowing how to cook lol? That's how I "conned" my brother into learning to cook - I told him I would move in w/him & cook for him if he didn't learn how :). He knows I would have made his life just as miserable as he would have made mine if that had happened so he learned how :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how I agree with you about not being able to go into the kitchen and cook. I loved cooking and have many, many recipe books and loved to experiment. These days, relying on my husband to cook, it's a case of 'the easiest thing will do. however, I have taken to printing off recipes on the computer, which I have written myself with the most explicit details with regards to ingedients and method;even including which utensils and pots to use! So far, we have managed to produce some reasonable dishes. I then stay out of the kitchen and let him get on with it, so as not to lose my cool as I am very OCD and impatient and frustrated…........good luck with your cooking.

    ReplyDelete