Thursday, January 6, 2011

Warrior for Life

"Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth..." Lou Gehrig

Like Lou, I got a bad break when on September 28, 2010 my neurologist confirmed that I have ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  My hope is that in sharing my life with ALS, friends, family and others will be able to keep up with my health updates and maybe someone will learn something new or be encouraged or, dare I say, even be inspired. 

One of the things that I've learned already is that most people know very little about ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), heck all I knew was that I didn't want to have it. Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, is a progressive and fatal neuromuscular disease marked by gradual degeneration of the nerve cells in the central nervous system that control voluntary muscle movement. Eventually, all muscles under voluntary control are affected, and patients lose their strength and the ability to move their arms, legs, and body. When muscles in the diaphragm and chest wall fail, patients lose the ability to breathe without the support of a ventilator. Most people with ALS die from respiratory failure, usually within 3 to 5 years from the onset of symptoms. See, now you know why I didn't want to have it and why ALSucks!


WOW! After recovering from the stunning reality that the diagnosis brings with it, I decided to commit to two things: 1) I would remain strong in my Christian faith; 2) I would retain my sense of humor.  Hopefully, you will experience both of these in the stories I share with you,but be warned, the aforementioned sense of humor can be a little "quirky", just ask my family. 


So about a year after what I now know were the first symptoms, and three months after diagnosis my life is already very different from what I ever dreamed it would be.  Physically, I am still able to walk with the use of a cane and AFOs(story for another day); I have no trouble with speaking and swallowing and breathing is still good. Strength in my right arm is minimal but I still have some use of it while adapting to doing a lot of tasks left handed. I made my first public appearance in a wheelchair to go Christmas shopping with my wife at the mall, and it wasn't so bad. I am now retired at age 50 since I can no longer perform my job duties to the standards I hold myself to.  Despite all of these changes, I am looking forward to living the rest of my life to the fullest and have a whole new perspective and set of priorities.   


Thank you to my friends and especially my family who are traveling this path with me, without your love and support I wouldn't be able to embrace the future God has planned for me.  Gina, I appreciate and love you so much, thanks for laughing instead of crying and thanks for your strength, you are the best.



5 comments:

  1. John 9:3b This happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. That is you, Kevin. displaying the work of God.

    I will pray that everyday of your life brings God's glory to those around you and that you feel God's comfort and peace and know that He will take care of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Know that Trish and I will be keeping you and Gina and the rest of your families in our prayers. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being willing to share your life with everyone like this. You never know who it will touch. I pray for you every time I am reminded... and this will definitely remind me much more often!

    As I typed that, I realized I will start including your family too. Take care and know you have lots of friend you've never met who love you and are praying!! :)
    Tracy (*Rena from WG)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,
    You are handling this situation with much grace. I am sure you will inspire everyone around you, and those of us who are a thought away.
    You have a great wife and family and you are loved by many of your friends, especially all the crazies from 1036 B'way, NOLA, Tulane Class of '82!
    Keep bloggin' and thanks for the update! Talk soon!
    Des

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin--

    Sorry to hear about the ALS-but your attitude is one to be proud of. My neighbor's brother went through it several years ago.
    I'm praying the treatment goes well-I mean what the hell do you have to lose!

    ReplyDelete