Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Matter of Faith

As my new life returned to normal this week after all the wonderful holiday visits with the kids and Princess Hayden, head of Big Poppiland, I've settled into a routine that works well for now.  This means I spend a lot of quiet time alone during the day while my beautiful bride is at work, and during this time I've read blogs and books and have been formulating what I want to share this week.  Since Sunday, a day of mourning for Saints fans, I knew I wanted to discuss the commitments I mentioned last time; but how?

ALS takes a devastating physical toll as it reeks havoc on our bodies, it plays mind games using fear and depression, and it challenges even the most faithful in their beliefs. The questions come fast and furious : Why me?  What did I do wrong?  Doesn't God care about me?  How can a loving God allow so much hurt and pain in the world? Does God really exist? If so, why doesn't He do something?

Normally, I'd pull out a whole bunch of Bible quotes and scripture references in answer to these questions and they'd be good answers.  Last night, however, I was reminded that we overcome by the word of our testimonies and I knew that's what I needed to share here.  You see it's very easy for me to have faith in God and Jesus Christ because I KNOW Him; that's right KC and JC are tight!

I was raised in a church going family, my great uncle a priest and I was an altar boy; I knew a lot about religion, still know the prayers by heart and Gina and the kids and I went to church fairly regularly as a family. We were the picture of a good young couple - hard working Dad climbing the corporate ladder, devoted wife and stay at home Mom and five really cute  kids- sure we drank a little too much sometimes and I knew where the best "gentlemen's clubs" were but all in all we were doing OK.  Then through sheer selfish stupidity I almost blew it! A move across country and two miserable years later we were on the path to divorce and the end of this awesome family.  When a longtime(almost said old) friend invited us to dinner, we went and ended up hearing all about her awesome church, and while I thought who cares?, a few things did peak my curiosity.  A group of men who met at 6am each week for prayer and a football stadium of just men attending spiritual rallies led by former coach McCartney - that didn't sound like any church I'd ever been to. So we go to this church in Texas with a pastor from New Orleans, and the second week IT happens -yep, right there in the back row in front of everybody; He shows up, Jesus Christ walked into my life up close and personal!  It felt like I was being pressure washed from inside out and when He was finished I was changed forever.  That was almost 16 years ago and as I've gotten to know Him better, I'm amazed that He knows me so individually and intimately and He has earned my complete trust. When we get together each morning, we talk about anything I want and somehow those questions don't seem so important when I'm with Him.

So that's it, I am strong in my faith not because of the religion, but because I could never turn my back on my friend,  Jesus.  Whether you have heard about him or not, if YOU haven't met Him, I'd like to introduce you; it's easy, say this out loud, follow me:

Jesus, I want to know you for myself, I know that I have sinned and made a lot of mistakes, but I also know that You are the Son of God, His Lamb, who died on the cross to so I wouldn't have to.  Forgive me and come into my life, be my Lord and Savior and be my friend.

If this was your first time meeting Jesus, please leave a comment so that I can thank Him, welcome you to the family and join the party celebrating you in heaven today!

3 comments:

  1. Kevin, now we know who, why, and what to interceed for on your behalf. I also have met with similiar challenges in my/our life. I often would ask God the same question! Why me, why us Lord? Sometimes He would answer directly or through other's and many times He was silent. Like the passage in Job 13: 15: "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him". Sounds like pure poetry until you have to live it out. Thanks for sharing with us. God Bless Marc & Netty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you didn't say "old" you said long time friends! I have to giggle as I remember that day, so many years ago, Kevin. David and I LOVE you and your family. We've all been through the sieve of life for somewhere around 50 years and I hate that this world is so broken and that there is so much disease. BUT, what I love is that the redemption of our spirit is forever and eternity takes over when our bodies fail on this earth. Several things are sure: we will all pass from this earth and we have no knowledge of the number of our days down here - another thing is sure: those who know the LORD as Savior will live on into eternity! So, I know you know all this but I just want to echo your testimony of the Love of Jesus that brings us hope for a future!

    Preach, Kevin! Testify! You still have more to give.

    David and I pray for you - we are believing for GOD'S perfect will for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your group meeting last night was wonderful, and live fellowship encouraging. The Lord is always, ever faithful and good. Blessings to you and your wife,
    Abba's child

    ReplyDelete