Tuesday, June 21, 2011

9 months

This is a difficult video to watch, even for me, but if you haven't seen it yet take the time to watch.

 Often Awesome: Episode 32

Wow! Heart breaking, sobering, inspiring, phenomenal > whatever your take on Tim's video, many of the PALS I interact with are in a similar condition and the rest of us recognize we may be there someday.  So after my recent clinic visit and now nine months since diagnosis, figured it was a good time to update what my days are like.
  • 7am - Wake up, shower, dress > I can roll to my sides but Gina has to help me sit up and get to the shower. I can stand with the hand grips and wash my hair, some days I can the soap. I shave using an electric razor and brush with electric toothbrush.  G dresses me for the day, shorts and T shirts for summer.
  • 8am - Breakfast, helpers > Usually before she leaves for work I get morning meds ( mostly supplements), a cup of coffee through a straw and cereal for breakfast. Good news is I can still eat and drink all foods and I still feed myself. The home health ladies arrive during my quiet reading and prayer time.
  • 9am -noon- TV, computer > Morning First Take on ESPN2, Quick Pitch on MLB Network maybe some jazz or gospel music depending on the mood.  Facebook, updating fantasy team lineups, reading other blogs and alsforums.com keep me busy most mornings.  Restroom trips require assistance from the ladies; they get to unwrap the package and handle clean up on aisle five!  Not sure I'll ever get used to private parts being public parts but I don't really have that choice so I try to make the best of it.
  • noon -5pm.- lunch, Jeopardy! > All those years in fast food means I still eat a late lunch, then it's reading or maybe a movie.  We get in the range of motion exercises to keep me limber and most days a power nap.  Then the hilight of the afternoon, Jeopardy at 4:30, I'll take Morons for a thouusand Alex.
I know, sounds really boring, but it's not so bad. I get an occassional visitor, always appreciated, and we do get out of the house regularly.  I have a new platform walker which should get me up in the house more and my father's day present was a sturdy new bar stool I can use in the kitchen, maybe I can even get cooking again!  While it takes more effort, more help, more planning and more time, ALS has not yet stopped me from doing anything I've really wanted to do.  Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, wedding, Astro game we've done them all!  Looking forward to Hayden Lynn getting here for her summer visit and all the fun that we'll have together, time to make another deposit in the memory bank.

*** It took me 3 hours 15 minutes to type this blog entry.

1 comment: