Sunday, March 27, 2011

One Giant Leap

First, an update to a posting from January, our son Cpl Sean Connell has received orders to report to Fort Polk, LA by May 10th! This was a big victory keeping him from deploying to Afghanistan and bringing him close enough to spend time with me regularly. Thanks for all your help and support.


Yesterday was the Jumping 4 PALS Cajun Style fund raising event for ALS TDI, a non profit corporation dedicated to ALS research.  Organized by Sharon Isles, the event was a huge success despite some high winds that limited the number of people able to make their jumps.  I was overwhelmed by the response of so many in our ALS Facebook Family who traveled from near and far to show their support and participate.  PALS and CALS were in attendance from Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Maryland, New York and even Canada! Hard work and generous donors allowed the event to raise $9,875 for research to stop and cure this disease!

The day was extra special for me as my family and friends again overwhelmed me with their love and support. My daughter Brigid and her boyfriend Jared actually made the jump and enjoyed themselves immensely.  My sister Kieran and my niece and nephew volunteered and helped with everything from set up to face painting. Mom and Dwight came out, even after the Ohio St game ;0)  Joe Abe was back for another visit and my beautiful bride arranged a fantastic surprise for me.  In my note a few weeks ago I was looking for Cliff, well, she tracked him down and he spent the day with us!  Great to be reunited again!  So to all the incredible people who made this weekend so special: Sharon, Pegi, Kinga, Don, Deb, Cindy, Julie, Billy, Cliff and everyone who donated time, money and prayers, THANK YOU from this PAL!

2 comments:

  1. How fantastic this is!! Kudo's to Sharon and kudo's to everyone who jumped. It is amazing how doubled edged the sword is living with ALS, you have deep emotions and despair and hard times living with ALS, however you meet and connect with the most wonderful people who are willing to support and love. ((((((((((big hugs)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good time, thanks to all involved in the organizing. Kevin had fun.

    ReplyDelete